Thursday, September 12, 2019

3A - Your Entrepreneurship Story

My exposure to entrepreneurship started with my father. When he came to the U.S. in the 90's he started as a computer repairman in Miami. He has a degree in Computer Science/Engineering so it was a job that came easy to him and filled a need that was in high demand in the late '90s with the birth of the internet and the popularity of PCs. He has also had a passion for airplanes and aerospace for his whole life. So when I showed him consumer drones and how popular they had become in the past couple of years, he immediately turned it into an opportunity to return to his entrepreneurial roots. Taking what he had learned in his years as a repairman he started an aerial photography/videography company, Views from Sky. He uses a small fleet of drones to provide his customers with professional-grade aerial pictures and videos of their properties and events. I asked him why he decided to take on this new side company if he already had a good-paying job as an IT director of a local company because to me it didn't make much sense. However, he told me that after he quit being self-employed and found his current job he's been trying to find another entrepreneurial opportunity because he misses being able to be his own boss and pursuing passion projects like he is now.

I decided to take this class on my father's recommendation. I happened to mention it to him that a class like this was available and he told me I should consider taking it. He explained that a class like this would have helped him a lot in his early days when he was still trying to figure things out. By taking this class I hope to learn the skills that are needed to be a successful entrepreneur and maybe follow in my father's footsteps.


1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a greaty story! I have always been very impressed by drone photography. Do you think it is more difficult for entrepreneurs to work for others or just a preference and passion? Do you have an entrepreneurial pursuit in mind or are you still exploring your interests? I work with many people in a corporate environment who also explore their passions through entrepreneurship.

    ReplyDelete