For the
last reading reflection, I chose to read Makers:
The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson. In this
book, Chris Anderson talks about how we are currently experiencing another
industrial revolution thanks to the rise of entrepreneurs and manufacturers
that are known as “Makers”. The main theme discussed in this book is how
advances in technology like open-source software and 3-D printing have allowed
the everyday person to manufacture at a smaller scale at less cost thus allowing
them to innovate and become successful entrepreneurs.
I think
that many of the ideas that Chris presents in this book are reinforced by the things,
we have learned in ENT3003. For one, I think that the overall theme of risk-taking in entrepreneurship is present in both. Entrepreneurs have to take risks
and as with any new innovation or change risks are associated with it. These entrepreneurs
and “Makers” are driven by their ideas and take risks in order to see their products
and services come to life. And because of advances in technology, they are now
able to accomplish that.
I think a
good exercise that would illustrate the themes and topics covered in this book
would be to encourage people to research how much of their manufacturing or development
process they can now accomplish at home. With things like 3-D printers more
people than ever can now manufacture products from the comfort of their home.
It would be cool to see how much of the process you could do yourself and see
how much money you could save by not having to use a third-party manufacturer.
I think
the aha moment for me was the inclusion of crowdsourcing as an innovation that
was ushering in this new industrial revolution. To me, crowdsourcing is nothing
new as we usually ask many people for their take on an idea or process. But
what was surprising was how the author presented crowdsourcing in the context
of modern times. With the help of technology, we can now crowdsource ideas from
potentially everyone in the world. Through technology we have reached the point
where anyone can voice their opinion, thus allowing for the free flow of ideas
and innovation to occur on an almost global scale.
I think that Chris Anderson has a very good point when he says that we are in a third industrial revolution with the rise of the entrepreneurs. In today’s economy, so many entrepreneurs are rising through with the help of the new technology and networking facets at their disposal. I do think that it will only get more intense and that we are only in the beginning.
ReplyDeleteSebastian, the book that you read for the reading reflection assignment sounds very interesting. I was intrigued by the main theme that you described. I think that 3D printing will open up a lot of doors for people. I am super excited to see what the 3D printing world brings to me and how it impacts my life. I think that crowdsourcing can bring a lot of valuable information.
ReplyDelete