Friday, November 15, 2019

23A – Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage

1.     My experience working on a team of software developers/engineers
V: My experience of working as part of a team of software devs is valuable as I plan on being a part of the development team for my app.
R: It’s not super rare considering the amount of people working in the world of tech, but it is still not as common as you’d think.
I: I have a very specific take on working as part of a dev team that is unique to me as they are my experiences, so they are not very easily imitated.
N: You may be able to substitute in an experience of working with other groups of engineers, but I would say that being part of a functional group in the world of technology or engineering is not easily substituted.

2.     My experience as a software programmer and app developer
V: I am able to bring lots of experience in the world of programming and app development to my company that would allow me to not only be the head/founder but also be one of the main developers on the application.
R: As I said before, more and more people are finding careers in the world of technology and more specifically software programming. So, with that considered, I do not think it is very rare, but it is certainly not common.
I: The specific knowledge of software programming and app development that I have is inimitable. But it is certainly something that can be learned as a skill and developed to the point of knowing as much or more than me.
N: Knowing how to program in multiple programming languages is very difficult to substitute so, therefore, I would say that my specific knowledge is non-substitutable.

3.     My network and connections
V: The network that I have grown since starting at UF would be very valuable to the overall business venture as I have met many people that could contribute talent, time and finances to my service and firm.
R: Since everyone is different and lives a unique life, none of our networks are exactly the same so I would say that my network is very unique to me and rare.
I: Just as I stated above the very nature of human interaction means that everyone will have a unique network and set of connections so that of course means that my network is inimitable.
N: The fact that everyone's networks are unique and not imitable means that they would also be non-substitutable.

4.     My problem-solving skills
V: The ability to be able to look at a situation and be able to come up with a solution that not only is efficient but is also beneficial is always a good skill to have in the world of business.
R: Problem-solving skills are definitely not rare, but people that have the ability to properly apply them are a bit rarer.
I: As it is a skill that most people have my problem-solving skills are definitely not inimitable.
N: Problem-solving skills are a set of behaviors that allow for someone to solve problems or overcome challenges, so I would say that not many other skills can accomplish that so they would be non-substitutable.

5.     My location in a college town
V: Demographics play a huge role in the success of my application. The target demographic are college-aged individuals who go out a lot and are social. If I were to base my company here in Gainesville, my company would reap the benefits of being so close to the university where our potential customers frequent.
R: College towns are not a rarity in the US so having a firm based in a college town is not rare either.
I: Location is very imitable. A firm that wishes to be based in Gainesville or any other college town can simply move there.
N: College towns can be substituted with any other city with a high density of young adults that frequent local bars and restaurants.

6.     My knowledge and understanding of my target demographic
V: As a college-aged person myself I am able to accurately predict and respond to customer trends and impulses as I can be categorized as a potential customer myself. This gives me a unique view into what needs our target users have.
R: College-aged Americans are certainly not a rarity so finding someone aged 18-25 is not difficult to do.
I: This knowledge and “inside” look into the behaviors or thoughts of a college-aged person is imitable as you can ask anyone from this age range and they would be able to give you a valid idea of what they think their age group wants or thinks.
N: My knowledge of my generation/age group can be substituted by the knowledge of any other person my age.

7.     Being Bilingual as well as a passive speaker of 3 other languages.
V: Being able to communicate and understand more than language allows me to not only be able to speak with more people it also allows me to apply my knowledge of these languages to my application and make it accessible for more users.
R: Being bilingual is not very rare anymore in the US with the growth of the Spanish speaking population, but it is still not as common as a monolingual English speaker.
I: Knowledge of a language is imitable now because of translation technology as well as finding another person that speaks the same languages as me.
N: While my knowledge of English and Spanish is unique to me I may be substituted for someone else with the same or greater knowledge.

8.     Resources at my disposal (personally and at UF)
V: As a programmer already, I have access to hardware and software that would allow me to bring my application to life. These resources are mine as well as available for my use as a student at UF.
R: Most if not all of the software I would be using is free and available on the internet on an open source license, therefore, making it readably available and not rare.
I: The specific resources that I can access at UF would only be able to be imitated by another UF student so for most they are inimitable.
N: The software and hardware I would use for the development of my application can most certainly be substituted for many others that would still yield a similar result.

9.     My cultural background
V: Being a first generation American I am able to bring insights from native culture as well as knowledge of American culture.
R: Children of immigrants are not rare in the US, but it is rarer than a child of non-immigrant Americans.
I: Being at the crossroads between is something that is very unique, so it is very much inimitable.
N: As it is a very unique view on culture and society, I think that the experiences and insights of a first-generation American are not easily substituted.

10.   My goal-orientated attitude
V: I think one of my greatest strengths is being able to set challenging goals for myself and achieving them in the end. That type of attitude would bring lots of value to the planning and development stages of our service.
R: This character trait is not rare at all but what is rare is finding people who are able to consistently deliver when it comes to the goals they have set.
I: Attitudes are very easily imitated but my unique outlook is inimitable.
N: This attitude can be substituted by anyone who shows a predisposition to getting things done or following through with promises.

I think my greatest strength is my experience as a programmer and app developer. Although it may have been obvious, I think that having the technical skills even as the founder of the firm gives me the opportunity to not only run the company but also be a developer and have hands-on with the application that the users will have on their devices. In the world of technology and programming having the know-how is always the most important part of solving a problem or creating something new.






3 comments:

  1. Sebastian, I think that you did an awesome job with the unfair advantage assignment. I also put my human connections as a resource. I think that your experience with being an app developer is by far the best resource that your venture has. That means you won’t have to pay somebody to make your app and you can make changes to it whenever you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your most valuable, competitive advantage being the fact as being a software developer and an app developer. Not only would this help you in developing and understand the venture you are doing. But it also serve as a means to get started. In a entrepreneurship venture the key of of all the planning and development of the venture the fact is to get started. Eith your first hand knowledge in the field of your venture you can start it and work as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only are you a software programmer AND an app developer, but you have also worked on a team of software developers/engineers. That is an extreme advantage in this field because if you have had experience making apps, then creating this app would be easier for you to make versus somebody who have had no experience in creating apps. Also, it's nice that you have worked with other software engineers before because they could look over your app and help improve it.

    ReplyDelete